There always seems to be enough time before Spring gets here "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I have plenty of time, no problem...." Are you a procrastinator? I'm am, that's for sure, I PUT off things until it's too late and I need to rush at the last moment to buy things at higher prices or they aren't exactly the parts that I need. This only makes things worse in the long run. Do you know the feeling?
Since we have the time now, before Spring actually gets here, why not go through this quick "Pond checklist" this weekend. That way, both of us will be ready when the weather breaks and we can get our ponds up and running again for this season.... Deal??
Pre-Spring Pond/Water Feature Checklist
1. Pump- Make sure it's operational. Since there are a variety of pumps, it is good practice to never run your pump dry. Meaning out of the water (except external pumps)you could burn up your pump in only a few seconds. Before plugging in your pump, turn the impeller a few times by hand. This will lubricant the motor since its been sitting all winter. If you didn't clean up your pump when you removed it late in the fall, now is a good time to do so. A scrub brush and warm water is all you'll need.
2. Check your water treatment supply. Are they past their expiration date? Now would be a good time to stock up. Remember there are a lot of procrastinating pond owners out there. You wouldn't want your supplier to tell you that they are on back order would you? Here is a link to our store: http://www.putsponds.com/buy-supplies.html?afmc=PutsPonds
3. Check on your filter material. How old is it? Most fusion matting (white or green) should be replaced every 3-4 years. If yours is good, does it need to be rinsed out? Torn or ripped material should always be replaced. Proper fit is crucial for filter materials, otherwise they don't serve their intended purpose.
4. Skimmer- Is your skimmer net or basket in good shape? Is your skimmer weir door still there? Does the weir door still work properly?
5. Lighting- Did your lighting work at the end of last season? Do you need replacement bulbs? Does your lighting transformer still work? Is the timer or photocell still operational? Do the fixtures themselves leak? Maybe it's time to consider sealed LED lights....?
These are just a few things to get you started. But at least it's a start to get us both going.
We are always here to help you with anything you may need for your pond or water feature and offer a 10% discount on all orders placed with us.